Have you thought about becoming a security guard, but still aren’t sure? Here are 9 signs that a career in security is the right fit for you.
- You like to stay up late. This is a great way for night owls to make money. If you’re not thrilled by working the 9-5 grind and prefer to sleep in. A job in security might be a good fit for you. Shifts are often at night.
- You need a job now. Getting started in the security industry is easier than you might think. After a full day of training, you’ll be a certified security professional. You can start working in the field immediately upon the state issuing you the license.
- You’re interested in law enforcement. Many law enforcement officials get their start through entry-level security jobs. A guard position is a valuable stepping-stone to a future law enforcement career. Or, if you’re curious if law enforcement is a good field for you, this is a great way to find out.
- You want a flexible job that fits around your other responsibilities. Guard work fits well with your lifestyle. It’s a great second job and accommodates school schedules. It’s also ideal for retirees to make extra money and enjoy a rewarding job later in life.
- You like to move around and enjoy the outdoors. A guard position allows you to walk and stand during the shift, oftentimes outdoors. This is a great position if you’d rather not be stuck in an office building or sitting for long periods of time.
- You like responsibility with low supervision. Security guards are often patrolling serviced areas or on-site at businesses and events. You’ll be on your own and entrusted with the task of safeguarding people.
- You like working in a quiet environment with few people around. If a customer service job or employment in a busy office isn’t for you, a more peaceful job as a guard might be. There is some interaction with groups of people on occasion. But most often, you’re working solo.
- You want your friends and family to feel safe around you. A job in security often brings admirable skills and traits into your personal life. We find that friends and family members of our guards feel a greater sense of security. It’s one of the most rewarding aspects of a security guard occupation.
- You want great work benefits. We don’t blame you! Most Security Jobs offers health insurance, but we also offer vacation pay, overtime on holidays, life insurance, a retirement plan, and competitive rates.